The Roomba 985 is a robot vacuum that excels at keeping your home clean, especially if you have pets. Although you may still have to vacuum every so often (especially if you have stairs) this vacuum substantially lightens the work load. Using your Alexa or any other Wi-Fi connected device, you can easily control or check up on your Roomba—a feature that isn't available in older Roomba models.
Roomba 985 overview
The Roomba 985 is a robot vacuum that's designed for houses with multiple pets and large areas of carpeting throughout the home. The vacuum has 10x the suction power of 600 or 700 Roomba models. Another improvement made with this model is the iAdapt 2.0 navigation. On top of the high suction power and better navigation the 985 features:
- Alexa compatible - You can use your Amazon Alexa to start, stop, or locate your Roomba. Your Alexa can give you updates on how full the bin is or how much battery power is left.
- Roomba App - Using your Wi-Fi enabled device, the Roomba app can program and schedule the Roomba's cleaning. On top of scheduling and programing the app can update you one the status of your Roomba.
- 3-Stage cleaning system - the 3-stage cleaning system in the Roomba is equipped with a power boost on top of the powerful suction. The powerful suction can get deep into carpets.
While these features are great and powerful, not all of these features are made for everyone. It's important to do your research to make sure a big purchase like this is exactly what you want. Continue reading to make sure this vacuum is right for you and your family.
Get Roomba 985 if...
- You have multiple pets - The powerful 3-stage suction system can get deep into any carpet to get all the pet hair out.
- You have some high traffic areas - The Roomba 985 can detect where dirt often appears. Over multiple cycles the Roomba recognizes where more dirt accumulates and spends more time there.
- You have a larger house - The Roomba 985 not only automatically recharges, but also restarts it's cleaning as soon as it's fully charged.
Skip Roomba 985 if...
- You have hardwood floors - The Roomba 985 is designed to get pet hair out of carpets. This doesn't mean it's bad on hardwood, but it isn't as efficient.
- You aren't tech savvy - To get the most out of the Roomba 985, it requires a wi-fi connection and the use of the Roomba app. If you prefer a more straightforward cleaning experience, opt for a vacuum in the Roomba 600 collection as it's controlled by a built-in (and easy to use) panel on the robot itself—no technology needed!
- Advanced navigation software
Reasons to Buy Roomba 985
- You can clean your house even when you're not home - The iRobot app allows you to not only locate the Roomba in your house but you can also program times in which the vacuum cleans. This feature allows your vacuum to clean your house when you're away.
- You have a lot of furniture in your house - With the 985's low profile it can get under most furniture where a lot of pet hair and other dirt hides. It can also clean in and around tight corners better than larger vacuums.
- You don't have a lot of storage - The Roomba 985 comes with a charging dock. The charging dock doesn't take up much space and can be easily hidden behind furniture or a wall.
Reasons to Avoid Roomba 985
- Your house has multiple levels - The Roomba 985 can't traverse steps at all. It comes with built-in cliff detection technology to prevent it from even approaching stairs. If you have multiple floors in your home, a Roomba may not be the right fit for you.
- Your house isn't SMART- The Roomba 985 uses its app or smart device such as Amazon's Alexa to communicate and be controlled. If your home isn't already setup with this form of technology, and you don't want to invest in the additional devices, the Roomba 985 isn't the right vacuum for you.
What real Roomba 985 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Roomba 985 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Roomba 985 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "First time run, I'm amazed. It picked up so much considering I pre-cleaned everything. I have carpet and LVT flooring. Straight lines, edge cleaning, and looks nice."
- "Only had “Rosie” two weeks and I’m in love. She has removed one household task that I dislike. Still learning how to optimize Rosie but I see nothing but good things for her in my house."
- "It works in a house where 3 long hair dog lives. Cleans well and 1 charge is enough for 120m2 (1300sqft) . Does not fall down stairs."
- "Vacuum picks up A LOT. Even though I run it every day, it almost always has a full dust bin."
- "I have never had a vacuum like this before, and I just love it. I have it scheduled to run on Mondays and Fridays at 8 am. My floors stay clean and I don’t have to think about it."
What reviewers dislike
- "Low rating is because I had an older model that broke and I'm disappointed in this new one. First why do we need an app to schedule its running time? The old way was much easier. 2nd the area to hold the pickup is smaller and more difficult to empty. 3rd the running time is way shorter, the battery needs to be recharged in less then an hour."
- "Dust bin super small, can not just dump, have to figure out something to pull everything out. Is not picking up much dog hair. Doesn’t Seem to be deep cleaning, is only picking up what’s on top of carpet."
- "It does not follow a logical pattern when cleaning. When going in a straight line on the return it seems to angle off straight and leave an angular swath that does not get clean."
- "However, after 4-5 months the 985 began to consistently fail to make its way back to base before running out of battery. I suspect this is because iRobot keeps the 900 series on an older version of their iAdapt software, version 2.0, which does not save maps, determine efficient cleaning paths, or allow room-by-room cleaning."
- "I am disappointed that I need an app to have it clean - I just want to drop it in the room and push the button. The non-random pattern the new one uses ensures that it skips areas in my house due to furniture and other obstacles."
Where to buy Roomba 985
Amazon is where you want to buy the Roomba 985. They offer the same warranty as Roomba, and, if you have a Prime membership, you also get to enjoy free shipping!
The bottom line on Roomba 985 vacuum
Roomba 985 is an ideal choice if you want a robot vacuum that is SMART home enabled and is great at cleaning carpets at an reasonable price. We have scoured the internet looking for the best prices, and nobody beats Amazon, click here to get your best deal!