The Roomba 870 is designed to go over every last surface of your home. iAdapt Navigation and Virtual Walls put you in control. There's no WiFi connectivity, but that just means the 870 comes at a lower price point than comparable models.
Roomba 870 overview
The Roomba 870 was one of the first models to come with iRobot's AeroForce cleaning system. This allows the vacuum to enhance air flow to improve cleaning and offer less maintenance to you. Other great features to take note of with this vacuum include:
- iAdapt Navigation technology
The Roomba 870 is an older model. The design may be outdated for some, and there are no smartphone controls, like what you get with the Roomba 980. But for something within the Roomba 800 series price range, it may still be enough for what you need.
Get Roomba 870 if...
- You want to clean everywhere. The Roomba 870 measures 3.6 inches in height. This allows it to glide under coffee tables, beds, and chairs without latching onto bed skirts and other linens.
- You hate cleaning. To get your Roomba moving, you simply press the "Clean" button on top, and the robot does the rest. It glides over any surface, catching all kinds of debris, including pet hair.
- You want a vacuum that lasts. The Roomba 870 features the iRobot XLife NiMh battery. This delivers twice the number of cleaning cycles as older Roomba models.
Skip Roomba 870 if...
- You want to control your Roomba from an app. Newer Roomba models, such as the 900 series, allow you to control your vacuum from your smartphone. The 870 was released prior to this innovation, so you need to control it from the unit. You can still set up a schedule for it to run daily, but it can't be done from a phone.
- You want a modern aesthetic. The Roomba 870 is a few years old. If everything else in your house is the latest and greatest version, then the Roomba may stick out like a sore thumb. You may want a sleeker model like the more recent Roomba S9+.
- Tangle-free AeroForce Extractors to prevent clogs
- 13-inch wide clearing path
- Automatic docking and recharging at home base
- Capable of cleaning up to 1,000 square feet on a single charge
- Requires filter replacement
Reasons to Buy Roomba 870
- You have a pet. Pet hair, especially during shedding season, can create real problems around the house. You need a vacuum that runs every day and can pick up fur with ease. The 870 does precisely that, and all you have to do is empty the bin every other day or so.
- You have sensitive sinuses. Pet dander, dust, and other debris can have you sneezing constantly at home. You can make sitting on the couch a lot more pleasant by getting a Roomba with a HEPA filter that does a better job of trapping contaminants.
- You have hardwood floor. The Roomba 870 does an exceptional job cleaning messes on hard floors. It even does a good job sweeping up cereal, kitty litter, and rice.
Reasons to Avoid Roomba 870
- You have a large house. The Roomba 870 generally runs for 90 minutes on a full charge, which is often enough to cover 1,000 square feet. If your home is larger than that, then this vacuum may not be able to cover everything in one day.
- You want voice commands. More recent Roomba vacuums, like the Roomba i7, is compatible with Amazon's Alexa. This offers greater convenience and may be something you want if you want the very best.
What real Roomba 870 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Roomba 870 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Roomba 870 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "I am glad that I upgraded it with 870. It has HEPA filter and bigger bin. It's also a little more quiet than 650."
- "They surprisingly pick up copious amounts of dirt and pet fur. I'm stunned every time I empty the canister and see how much stuff it cleaned."
- "I have been delighted by the performance of my Roomba 870. It has been in service for several weeks now with no performance issues and so far has proven to be an incredible time saver for me in maintaining our 2000SF office."
- "I would buy this again without reservation. By the way, even my regular vacuum cleaner needs periodic cleaning to get the dog hairs out of the beater brush and to clean the vacuum filter so no cleaning device is maintenance free."
- "I have had it for 2 months already and I have set it up to clean twice a week so I don't even have to be thinking about cleaning."
What reviewers dislike
- "I wish the battery lasted a little longer (carpet definitely runs it down faster than when it's on the hardwoods)."
- "The digital walls are nice, but would have liked them to be batter savers and able to leave them on. We have to turn them off and on when roomba is starting."
- "The station cannot be in a narrow space."
- "If you have some sensible furniture (or really anything that stands on the ground and you don't want to be constantly hit by Roomba), you'll suffer a little bit to see it getting hit by Roomba."
- "The robot went over the same old spots while there were other areas in the house it had not gone to."
Where to buy Roomba 870
The Roomba 870 is available from various retailers. If you're looking for a similar model with a few extra features on Amazon, then opt for the Roomba 890. It's actually able to connect to WiFi, so you can control it from your phone. And it comes with free shipping on Amazon.
The bottom line on Roomba 870 vacuum
Roomba 870 is an ideal choice if you want stellar navigation and some extra virtual walls at a good price.
We have scoured the internet looking for the best prices, and nobody beats Amazon, click here to get your best deal!