The Roomba 500 series is a robot vacuum series that excels at keeping your home clean, especially if you have pets. Although you may still have to vacuum every so often (especially if you have stairs) these vacuums substantially lighten your work load. You can program the 500 models to clean up to 7 times a week on a schedule.
Roomba 500 overview
The Roomba 500 series is designed for houses with both carpets and hardwood floors. Using 3 different techniques the Roomba 500 models clean all of your floors. Agitating, brushing, and suction are the 3 techniques used. On top of this, the 500 series models have multiple other features, including:
- Cliff Detecting Sensors - The 500 series models have multiple sensors that can detect not only drop offs but also furniture and people. These sensors can save your walls from scuff marks and your Roomba from breaking.
- Roomba App - Using your Wi-Fi enabled device, the Roomba app can program and schedule the Roomba's cleaning. On top of scheduling and programing the app can update you one the status of your Roomba.
- 3-Stage cleaning system - the 3-stage cleaning system in the Roomba is equipped with a power boost on top of the powerful suction.
While these features are great and powerful, the Roomba 500 series isn't made for everyone. It's important to do your research to make sure a big purchase like this is exactly what you want. Continue reading to make sure this vacuum is right for you and your home.
Get Roomba 500 if...
- You have multiple pets - The powerful 3-stage suction system can get deep into any carpet to get all the pet hair out.
- You like simple - This Roomba 500 models don't have all the bells and whistles that the newer more advanced Roomba's have. Some of those things are superfluous and some people don't know how to use them.
- You have a smaller house - The Roomba 500 series is powerful for the battery life that it has. The 500 series models are perfect for a house that only requires a short time to clean.
Skip Roomba 500 if...
- You want newer technology - The Roomba 500 series are just as powerful as other Roomba models, however, it does lack all the new high-tech features found in the Roomba s series. If you're looking for the latest bells and whistles Roomba has to offer, the 500 series isn't the right choice for you.
- You need a full clean not a spot clean - The 500 series is great for spot cleaning and in between deep cleans. It isn't enough to just have your house cleaned by these Roomba, you need to vacuum on top of this.
- Advanced navigation sensors
- Low-profile to get under furniture
- 50 minutes of battery life may not be enough to clean a big house
Reasons to Buy Roomba 500
- You can clean your house even when you're not home - The iRobot app allows you to not only locate the Roomba in your house but you can also program times in which the vacuum cleans. This feature allows your vacuum to clean your house when you're away.
- You have a lot of furniture in your house - With the 500 series' low profile it can get under most furniture where a lot of pet hair and other dirt hides. It can also clean in and around tight corners better than larger vacuums.
- You don't have a lot of storage - All of the 500 series Roomba's comes with a charging dock. The charging dock doesn't take up much space and can be easily hidden behind furniture or a wall.
Reasons to Avoid Roomba 500
- Your house has multiple levels - The Roomba 500 series models can't traverse steps at all. It comes with built-in cliff detection technology to prevent it from even approaching stairs. If you have multiple floors in your home, a Roomba may not be the right fit for you.
- Your house is SMART - The Roomba 500 series models are not able to connect to SMART devices like Alexa or your Google Assistant. Having a device that can't connect to the rest of your devices can be frustrating.
What real Roomba 500 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Roomba 500 series receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Roomba 500 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "Why or why did I not have one of these earlier??? This neat little vacuum cleans my house without me needing to lift a finger."
- "Does a fine job of cleaning."
- "We have two downstairs, because of a drop-off and a large lower floor, and we have one upstairs, for bedrooms and office area. Everyone is delighted with them. I have been surprised how much pet hair they pick up."
- "We have 2 dogs with short hair, and one with hair like a cat's...long and much. It gets them all. Our floors are hard surface floors. The robot (Rosie) even gets out of cords she encounters by this kind of cute hopping action. Then she remembers not to go close there again. "
- "I got the Roomba because I have some chronic pain issues and any assistance on chores is great. This has made just a difference in keeping the house clean and relieving me of a painful job."
What reviewers dislike
- "Roomba is rebelling and turning narcoleptic, starting to get stuck in random places and ignoring virtual walls."
- "There is no rhyme or reason how it covers the area so it basically keeps going until it doesn't detect dirt or unless it runs out of battery."
- "It takes 2 sessions (with enough recharge time in between) to get the first floor done (and I skip the hallway because it doesn't fit well with the other areas and it's just no worth it to do it alone)."
- "We've had it for 3 months and it will no longer dock. The docking station is plugged in and blinking, but the Roomba just keeps on re-adjusting over and over and finally gives up."
- "If you want to put up virtual walls every where it might work better. Constantly getting stuck in stools, corners, end tables. Oh well I bought this during the anniversary sale in July for a decent price."
Where to buy Roomba 500
Amazon is where you want to buy any of the 500 series Roombas. They offer the same warranty as iRobot, and, if you have a Prime membership, you also get to enjoy free shipping!
The bottom line on Roomba 500 vacuum
A Roomba 500 series is an ideal choice if you want an easy to use robot vacuum that can clean both hard and soft floors at an affordable price. We have scoured the internet looking for the best prices, and nobody beats Amazon, click here to get your best deal!