The Roomba 690 gives you great suction and is designed with the powerful brushes the brand is known for. However, with the ability to connect to your smartphone, the Roomba 690 flies high over older models. There are some minor issues with navigation, but if you have an open floor plan in your house, it shouldn't be a problem.
Roomba 690 overview
There's a lot of functionality in the Roomba 690. It's compatible with the iRobot Home app. This is a feature you typically find with Roomba vacuums that cost twice as much. But the 690 is an entry-level model that gives you plenty of power at an affordable price. Other features packed within this robot include:
- Voice command controls via Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa
- Full suite of intelligent sensors to help go around furniture
- 1 dual mode virtual wall barrier to control where your vacuum cleans
While the sensors are impressive, some users have noted a few navigation issues. Namely, the Roomba 690 seems to have trouble working on dark flooring, especially when it comes time to return to home base. But with lighter flooring, there's quite a bit you stand to gain with this Roomba model.
Get Roomba 690 if...
- You're trying to save money. Keeping your house clean and not spending an arm and a leg don't have to be mutually exclusive. The Roomba 690 costs nearly half of what you find with more advanced models, like the Roomba 980. And it performs many of the same features.
- You want to know everything your Roomba does. When you sync the Roomba 690 with the iRobot app, you get details on everything. You set the schedule, and you receive a lifetime performance log to know how long your Roomba went around your house for each outing.
- You want to clean on the go. With the iRobot app, you can schedule cleanings at any time. You can have it run while you're at work or away on vacation. That way you don't come back home to a layer of dust on the floor.
Skip Roomba 690 if...
- You don't need the extra tech. You may have zero interest in getting an Amazon Alexa device. In that instance, you may need something like the Roomba 655. It offers great suction but without all of the tech features. As a result, it costs less.
- You have dark flooring. Some users have reported their Roomba having issues on darker areas of the floor. For instance, having a carpet with black borders could make the Roomba think it's about to go over a cliff. The cliff detect sensors stop it in its tracks, which may be cumbersome over time.
- Auto-adjust cleaning head
- Intelligent sensors that make 60 decisions per second
- Dirt detect sensors to target high-traffic zones
- Dual multi-surface brushes
- Navigation problems with dark floors
Reasons to Buy Roomba 690
- You need to clean every day. Pets and children can really make a mess out of your home's floors. But it's tough to get out the vacuum every day to clean. With the Roomba 690, it works while you relax, running for 90 minutes before returning to home base.
- You have hardwood and carpet. Some vacuums are designed for certain types of flooring but not others. The Roomba 690 moves effortlessly from tile to carpet and vice versa. The auto-adjusting head allows it to alter its height so that it retains perfect suction no matter where it is.
- You need to vacuum for a while. The Roomba 690 lasts for 90 minutes on a full charge. This is often suitable for cleaning houses of 1,000 square feet.
Reasons to Avoid Roomba 690
- Your house is tight. If your home has a lot of stairs or narrow spaces, then a Roomba may not be ideal. It could get stuck easily and won't be able to clean your house very efficiently.
- You want to map your Roomba's path. Newer Roomba models, such as the i3+, allow you to map out a path your vacuum can take. The Roomba 690 goes in a more sporadic direction. But with dirt sensors, it locates where it's needed most.
What real Roomba 690 reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? Roomba 690 receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). Roomba 690 scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- "I have pets with long hair and while you have to run it a lot to get all the hair, there is no way we would ever have the patience to vacuum a rug for as long as the Roomba will do it."
- "Wifi function is great for setting a schedule, and for locating her when she occasionally can't find her way home when her battery dies."
- "It keeps the floors clean and there is always something in the dust bin collector, despite the frequency that I use it."
- "This was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's saved me HOURS of time and labor each week. Highly recommend!!"
- "Is it worth the money? Of course it is because it buys you TIME. A quick 5 minute sweep of clutter from your floor buys you a solid 60 minutes of clean time that you don't have."
What reviewers dislike
- "Because the charger is so light and there is an absence of any gripping material on the bottom of it."
- "It froze on me once. The light remained on, it completely stopped, and never made it back to base."
- "If they could just fix the "wedge" issue where it gets stuck this would clearly be a 5 star product."
- "Louder than thought it would be (but not really a con since it works)."
- "Sometimes hits the baseboard/walls decently hard (no scuffs or bangs yet though)."
Where to buy Roomba 690
The best price for the Roomba 690 is on Amazon. Not only do you save a lot of money compared to other retailers, but you also qualify for Amazon's free, fast shipping! And if you're unsatisfied for whatever reason, Amazon offers free returns.
The bottom line on Roomba 690 vacuum
Roomba 690 is an ideal choice if you want powerful suction combined with WiFi compatibility at a reasonable price.
We have scoured the internet looking for the best prices, and nobody beats Amazon, click here to get your best deal!